Saturday, November 29, 2008

Post Thanksgiving

Well, my thanksgiving didn't really go as planned... in any aspect. It was good to be around family, even if it's not technically my family. I was sad to hear that the tradition I've known my whole life of going to my grandma's house in Indiana and eating with the whole side of my dads family disintegrated this year. Even though I wasn't able to go last year or this year it is the tradition I know, and desperately love. I am a sucker for tradition in the most pragmatic way, if there's nothing wrong with it, leave it alone and keep doing it. But this year for some reason nothing happened.. my sister didn't go, my dad worked, 2 of my cousins went to their in-laws, and my aunt (who is kind of the post-grandma stitch of that side of the family) just did a dinner at her house with the kids that didn't go to their in-laws. Haha, the last thanksgiving I had at my grandmas house I spent reading Gospel Doctrine, a kind of a run-down on church doctrine for new-members and investigators. 26 chapters in one day... hahaha.. wow. I can't believe that was three years ago! Oh man when did I get old.
In any case, I went to Blakes house for thanksgiving. It was lovely to have a big bed and be surrounded by the sounds of family things. Parents and children catching up, and just being in a home instead of an apartment. Me and the girls in Blakes family made pies on Wednesday. Mine was the only non-traditional pie, there was raspberry, cherry, pumpkin, and then my chocolate gnache pie with raspberry. I was worried about it, but it was a big hit thanksgiving night, which made me feel good. I'm just not a fan of traditional pies... apple, strawberry all that. I like rasperries enough to have the raspberry pie, but other than that I prefer a creme pie any day (except banana).
Anyways, there was a lot of accept and conquer for me this week, getting out of being around my family and the chaos of a full three story house with like 20 people milling about for at least 3 days. This time it was 5 people until like 7pm thanksgiving night it turned into 11 for a couple of hours. Instead of spending thanksgiving day watching and playing football mixed with some cooking, minimal time was spent in the kitchen and we played pictionary instead of football. Not that I coould play football anyways... and I don't think I've ever been to a thanksgiving dinner where all the food fit on the table where everyone ate... it's not a bad thing, it just seemed to be a 180 from the thanksgiving I'm used to. Overall it was good. 2 weeks from monday and I'll be going home for the first time in nearly a year, and I absolutley cannot wait. I really really wish that Blake would be able to come with me, but lousy money stops everything as usual. But I'll enjoy my time at home, hopefully I'll be able to walk a little better by then too, traveling alone on crutches during the holidays just isn't ideal. I'm teaching RS tomorrow, I do love teaching, I just never feel prepared enough. I prepared two lessons this week even, I started to prepare a lesson on sunday and monday when the counsellor in my RS called to tell me the lesson I was supposed to teach had been taught already and that I needed to prepare a different one. A little disheartening, but between the lesson I had started to prepare and the book I'm reading about church history and Joseph Smiths life, preparing the second lesson proved a little easier than I had thought it would be. On that note, the book I am reading I need to write an 8 page paper on and I haven't started, so off I go. :)

2 comments:

Beth said...

You are an awesome teacher, just so you know. You always seem prepared, even if you don't think you are. My thanksgiving was different this year too, but it was good. I haven't been home for holidays for a while (except halloween this year) but I've learned to make my own traditions. And I like it better almost. I think. We'll see how I'm doing the day of :)

And ps, can you change your font color? I have to highlight the words so I can see them. Thanks :)

PPS: my verification word is chizie. I like it. I see a new fad-phrase coming..."Dude, that's so chizie!" Yeah....

A Drop of Gold said...

lol Beth you make me happy.